About this blog

My "two cents" on being an old fashioned librarian in the digital age.
(Want to know more?)


Tuesday, December 10, 2013

October Library Display, 2013

This is my most favorite display EVER.  I don't know that we'll ever top it!

"Books that go BUMP in the Night"

Yes, indeedy.  We turned our shelves into a haunted house!!
 





And the front window was spooky as well.
Of course, I couldn't resist doing something fun on the dry erase board!

Nuts and bolts:

The house was hard.  I used an old cardboard box, LOTS of tape, and a good bit of under-my-breath muttering to make the roof.  It looks fine on the front side, but if you look at the back you'll see all the bits and fakery I did to make it come out right.  I spent several hours off and on working on it (yes, I am nuts).

For the black part I bought four sheets of black poster board.  I wanted it to be stiff, not floppy like bulletin board paper.  Again, I just cut strips and pieced it together based on a sketch I did beforehand.  We used yellow as a background to make it look like light shining out windows.  I was going to add doors to the bottom shelf, but I eventually a) ran out of time, and b) decided it would get in the way of the computer to the left.

The books are all books about ghosts and ghost stories.  We even have a few about famous college ghosts!  (And of course the obligatory "13 Georgia Ghosts and Jeffrey".)

No comments:

Post a Comment